On May 15, 1968, an F5 tornado tore through Oelwein and surrounding communities. It leveled homes, flipped cars and left 450 people injured and 13 dead.
50 years later, The Gazette takes a look back through photos taken a day after the natural disaster.
MORE Community ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Johnson County supervisor race: one new face or two?
- Now it really gets interesting for Iowa football
- Iowa high school football playoffs: 2018 brackets
- Game Report, Iowa vs. Maryland: Grades, numbers, notes and more
- No. 22 Iowa 23, Maryland 0: Hawkeyes punch in, punch out the Terps
- Again, Iowa football satisfies its sweet tooth