On May 15, 1968, an F5 tornado tore through Oelwein and surrounding communities. It leveled homes, flipped cars and left 450 people injured and 13 dead.
50 years later, The Gazette takes a look back through photos taken a day after the natural disaster.
MORE Community ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
- ‘We need help’: After brawl at apartment complex, residents plead to Cedar Rapids officials
- Mollie Tibbetts search: Investigators highlight five possible points of interest
- Hubbell hears concerns on mental health care
- Police investigating after SUV struck a 14-year-old boy and drove away
- UI weighs requiring first-,second-year students to live on campus
- Iowa City High has enthusiasm necessary for bounce-back season