On May 15, 1968, an F5 tornado tore through Oelwein and surrounding communities. It leveled homes, flipped cars and left 450 people injured and 13 dead.
50 years later, The Gazette takes a look back through photos taken a day after the natural disaster.
MORE Community ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa Total Care selected as third Medicaid insurer in Iowa
- Following altercation, movement restricted at Anamosa prison for 2nd time in a week
- Finkenauer scores another labor endorsement
- Woman found slumped behind wheel of stolen vehicle outside Cedar Rapids motel charged for theft, illegal drugs
- Maddie Poppe, Hawkeye. No, not those Hawkeyes.
- Prairie, Jefferson cruise to Metro baseball tournament semifinals